Long Beach, California
Type of Requirement: City Policy
The Arts Council for Long Beach
350 Elm Avenue
Long Beach, CA 90802
Griselda Suarez, Executive Director
Email Griselda | 562.435.2787, ext. 107
The Policy establishes that private developments with construction costs of two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000.00) or more are subject to a mandatory public art requirement. Projects may satisfy the requirement in one of the following manners:
- Projects with a development cost between two hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($250,000.00) and ten million dollars ($10,000,000.00) shall deposit a value equal to one percent (1%) of the costs into the Arts Council for Long Beach’s (ACLB) Public Art Fund for general enhancement of the City’s public cultural resources in redevelopment project areas;
- Projects with a development cost greater than ten million dollars ($10,000,000.00) are required to allocate one percent (1%) of the costs as follows: eighty-five percent (85%) to on-site public art programs (which may include artworks, cultural programming, or cultural facilities), and the remaining fifteen percent (15%) deposited into Public Art Fund; or
- Projects that include historically designated buildings and landmarks shall participate based on total development costs as for other develop- ment projects. Developers’ plans must be presented to and approved by the ACLB’s Advisory Committee for Public Art.
Maintenance and conservation of on-site artwork will be the responsibility of the developer.
Street Park Parable (1997). By Robin Brailsford, Jon Cichetti, and Francis Wosmek. Arts Council for Long Beach Collection. Courtesy: Robin Brailsford